Monday, November 30, 2009

Sauteed Zucchini is a Hard Sell

I think almost everyone I know hates zucchini. Unfortunately they grow pretty easily around here so it gets to be hard to avoid them.

For her Grated Sauteed Zucchini recipe Julia recommends 6-8 of the 8-inchers. They need to be washed, the ends lopped off and after 10 seconds in the food processor you have a mountain of zucchini shreds. Mix 1/2 t. salt into the mountain, set it in a colander and let it "steep". Shortly it will begin to shed green water, and after 15 minutes and some gentle squeezing you will have an amazing amount.

Next add 3 T. butter to a frying pan set to high, after it begins to foam add 2 T. chopped shallots and shortly after that the zucchini. Toss them for a few minutes until just tender and serve immediately.

This recipe was okay. Of the four of us eating two refused to eat more than a micro-taste and he other two of us thought it was good enough, but it would be hard to imagine ordering it in a restaurant. However, a dish may still get a 'Thumbs Up' rating if I could imagine someone who liked the ingredients thinking it was good enough to make it again. Based on that I think it's a winner.

Grated Sauteed Zucchini-Thumbs Up

3 comments:

  1. I really like this dish! Although, if you didn't have a food processor (me) and didn't have that little strainer (also, me) then it would be much harder. I don't think I would ever try to make the recipe without those tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good and easy enough. This could be the sort of Julia dish we all could make

    ReplyDelete
  3. I revist my earlier post b/c I made this on Monday and it was super easy, even with a hand grater and a normal strainer!

    ReplyDelete